Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 15 – The 30 Day Song Challenge – A Song that describes you...

Song  15 – A song that describes you...  – ‘The Bluest Eyes in Texas’ – A Camp
Nina Persson of 'A Camp'

Well this song doesn’t describe me exactly but, again, it’s one that I could have written so we’ll go with it.  This was a really difficult one to choose.  There are lots of books that you read or songs that you hear where you think ‘I can really identify with that character’ but not many where you think ‘that song summed me up’.   I quite like that too.  It’s good to feel that you’re unique and special and that no-one else quite sees the world the way that you do.  Perhaps it’s a bit ego-centric, but I think that some degree of this is good for you and your self esteem.
It can be an uncomfortable feeling when you do come across something that strikes a bit close to home.  Having never seen a rom-com that borne any resemblance to a relationship I was in, I watched ‘500 Days of Summer’ a little while ago off the back of some good reviews and fine cast.  I found it struck unerringly close to home.  It did make for a really affecting film that’s really stayed with me and also a film that, because of this, I’m not keen to watch again.  It was cathartic but being so closely engaged with the characters can be hard work.  So songs that describe you can be a mixed blessing.  Having someone shine a light on you can be illuminating, but too much light can leave you dazzled and exposed.
500 Days of Summer - Trailer

Anyway, the song!  It’s by ‘A Camp’, who were a side project of Nina Persson of ‘The Cardigans’ and Mark Linkous of ‘Sparklehorse’ was also heavily involved, with song writing and production.  I think their debut album is fantastic and I was amazed when it didn’t garner a lot of ‘album of the year’ nods.  I much prefer it to anything that The Cardigans ever did.  The country tinged sound is warm and cosy that and makes Nina Persson’s vocals sound all the more aching and soulful than they ever did on the sometimes slightly clinical Cardigans records.  The song ‘The Bluest Eyes in Texas’ is actually a cover of a song by the American C&W group ‘Restless Heart’.  It was used on the soundtrack of the film ‘Boys Don’t Cry’.  It’s a pretty standard sort of a song but the unpretentious backing really works and Persson’s voice goes right through me.  Beautiful.
A Camp - The Bluest Eyes in Texas

Honourable mentions must go to ‘Rise’ by Josh Rouse and ‘Cheer Down’ by Malcolm Middleton, both of which describes bits of me (and lots of you I expect) but as I couldn’t find decent versions of them on Youtube, I went with A Camp.  And I did find one or two other song in my search but they’re a bit too personal.  There’s only so much honesty we should be comfortable with.  That bright light again...
Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse committed suicide just over a year ago.  The Sparklehorse albums are all excellent and well worth tracking down.  RIP Mark Linkous.
Sparklehorse - 'Happy Man'


David Millington
15th April 2011
Nottingham

No comments:

Post a Comment