Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 3 – The 30 Day Song Challenge – A Song that makes you happy...

Song 3 – A song that makes you happy - 'Video Killed the Radio Star' – The Buggles

I do actually remember this song from when it was first released in 1979 and despite having only heard it sporadically for the next twenty five or so years I always had a soft spot for it as a ‘classic’ from when I was a kid.  I heard it ‘properly’, ironically played as a cover by ‘The Feeling’ at Rock City, in November 2006 and was really blown away by what a good song it is.  It took the roof off the place then but still I didn’t hunt it down.  A year or so later and it was on the second ‘The Feeling’ album as a bonus track and I played that a lot.  Finally last year I downloaded the original and must have played it constantly for months afterwards.
Why do I like it?  I dunno, it’s just fun.  All the vocals are pretty daffy, Trevor Horn can’t really sing and the girl’s ‘oh a oh’s are purely silly.  It’s a great melody and full or really nice harmonies and counterpoint.  The lyrics are very sweet too – nostalgia from a time I can hardly remember.  The video is a lot of fun too.
The singer, Trevor Horn has a pretty interesting CV.  From session musician to member of prog rock nightmares ‘Yes’, a founder member of influential 80’s band ‘The Art of Noise’ he’s best known for his work as a producer which includes records with bands from Dollar (remember them? I so used to have a crush on the girl in the band when I was 10!  Just googled her – I made a good call as a pre-teen) to Cher, Paul McCartney, Pet Shop Boys, Seal, LeAnn Rimes and Belle and Sebastian.
I’ve got this on ‘Singstar’ for the PS3 and home Karaoke but tragically I can’t sing along, it’s totally in the wrong key and none of the 6 notes I can sing are in the song.  Boo hoo.
Here’s the Feeling’s version too – also rather splendid.

David Millington
3rd April 2011
Nottingham

No comments:

Post a Comment