Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 29 – The 30 Day Song Challenge – A Song from your childhood...

Song 29 – A song from your childhood...’Angelo’ – Brotherhood of Man

Brotherhood of Man
I’d actually forgotten all about this but it came on the radio a week or so ago and suddenly it all came back to me.  Brotherhood of Man were a sort of Northern club circuit version of Abba.  Their best know song is probably the Eurovision winning ‘Save your Kisses for me’ but this is the one that sticks in my memory.

Brotherhood of Man - Angelo


I probably picked up on it because there was a story in the lyrics so it was an easy song for a child to follow, just another nursery rhyme really.
For some reason there was a schoolyard version of this song as well.  I do remember singing the words...
“Long ago, high on a Mountain called Rattern Row,
there lived a young boy called Fostero,
he had a skateboard that wouldn’t go.

Down the street,
Faster and faster like Barry Sheene”
(Rattern Row is a street in Wadworth, the village where I grew up.  I can vaguely remember ‘Foster’, a kid a few years older than me but couldn’t give you his name (Neil perhaps?).  Fans of 1970’s motorbike racing will remember Barry Sheene as a legendary 70’s sportsman.)
I don’t know if there was any more than this.  I’ve no idea where this came from but it must have been something on TV that was changed by some particularly quick witted kid.
The song is a huge knock-off of Abba’s ‘Fernado’ (the song that Alan Partridge named his son after of course) but it’s kind of fun and catchy.  It stuck in my 5 year old brain anyway.  I wasn’t to hear the Sex Pistols, who released ‘Never Mind the Bollocks’ that year, for another 10 years or so.

David Millington
29th April 2011
Nottingham

No comments:

Post a Comment